St Francis Xavier’s Catholic Primary School is a caring and collaborative learning community committed to the development of each child spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, physically and socially. All students are well supported by dedicated teachers, our committed Parish Priest, Fr Thu Nguyen, and a welcoming and enthusiastic parent community.
Our school is deeply committed to contemporary learning and ensures all students have access to an extensive range of digital resources that foster creativity, thinking and innovation. Students are fully involved in co-curricular activities including public speaking, coding, choir, dance, drama and inter-school sport.
It is our intention that this site provides you with a genuine sense of our commitment to faith and learning. I belong, you belong, we belong.
- 1960: The parish of St Francis Xavier Lurnea began as a part of the All Saints Parish.
- 1962: The original church was built and later decommissioned to become school classrooms after the new parish church was established in 1993.
- 1975: St Francis Xavier’s Catholic Primary School Lurnea officially opened with just twenty-one students in Kindergarten and Year 1 with a single teacher. Parents volunteered to provide playground supervision.
- 2018: The Parish church saw significant refurbishment under the guidance of Father Thu Nguyen, transforming the space into a bright, peaceful place of worship.
- 2020: The school has grown to 14 classes and 395 students.
St Francis Xavier was a Jesuit priest who missioned to many countries throughout Asia between 1537 and 1552, including Japan, Malaysia, China and India.
At St Francis Xavier’s, we find inspiration in the key Jesuit values of:
- Finding God in all things
- Care for the whole person
- Unity of mind and heart
- Magis – the value of striving for the better, striving for excellence.
Our school community strives to follow the example of St Francis Xavier by striving for excellence in all things, reaching out to those in need and sharing our personal journey of faith with students, families and the parish. Together we prepare the way for ourselves, each other and our global community.
In partnership with our community, and in keeping with the values of our Catholic faith, we are committed to the education of our students. We know our students as learners, and as individuals, empowering them with the knowledge and skills they need to live lives of purpose and meaning.
As a thriving learning community we follow the example of St Francis Xavier as Together We Prepare the Way for Christ, for our futures and for one another as we go out into the world.
- Seeking truth
- Strive for excellence in word and deed
The community of St Francis Xavier’s is one of welcome and friendship with a strong link between the school and the church.
Even though St Francis Xavier Parish has two schools in its ministry, Fr Thu is an active member of both communities.
The students celebrate mass alongside their parents, grandparents and other community members in a spirit of inclusion. Our school, parents and students are also directly involved in supporting those in need in our local and wider communities, through St Vincent de Paul, CatholicCare and various other charities.
Fr Thu Nguyen
Saturday Vigil: 5.00pm
Sunday: 8.00am, 9.30am (Family Mass) and 6.00pm
Mrs Mary-Ann Laoulach
Proudly Part of the Community of Sydney Catholic Schools
Our school is part of a system of over 150 low-fee Catholic schools in the Sydney Archdiocese.
Sydney Catholic Schools are thriving Catholic communities that ignite a love of Christ through excellent teaching and learning to empower students to reach their full potential.